Friday, May 7, 2010

Happiness Project Take Two.

So I have not written anything, and that's because well, I just didn't have anything positive to write and I didn't think that the world at large needed to hear me whine. I try to stay very positive, which is one of the key themes of the book (act the way you want to feel) but that has just been an epic failure lately and I am not sure why.

I had been doing pretty well with the whole life upheaval, move across the country thing, but in the last few days I feel as though I am not doing as well as I thought. I am trying to keep "balance" in mind, so I am going to break it down into the good and the bad...

The good..

1. Chris got a (really amazing) job and is happy so far. He's going to be doing a bit of traveling, but mostly not to combat zones (yay!).

2. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous, and I have been able to meet my goal of getting outside most days.

3. Zoe and Dominic started t ball which is tons of fun, and we also started family bowling with the other Melissa and Dominic and that's been a blast too. She has been a great friend to me here, especially since I don't have any others!

4. I don't want to jinx it, but Abby has been a bit better about not needing to be in my arms every single second.

5. Chris and I are stronger as a couple then we have ever been. I am still amazed that I find more things to love about him, as we have more and different experiences together.

6. Jessica will be here soon!

The bad...

1. Abby still doesn't sleep. This is hard. She also won't take a bottle. What this amounts to is that I never really have any time to myself and it's starting to make me very tired and pretty frustrated. I can't decide what I am more desperate for...6 hours of interrupted sleep or 6 hours all by myself.

2. I miss my mother a lot and Mother's Day is making me feel very down.

3. I am extremely lonely. Chris will do some things that I like, but it's just not as much fun when you aren't doing them with someone who likes them too. The other Melissa is very , very busy with all the acivities and her job, and so I have been missing the girl time.

4. Living with other people is very hard, no matter who they are and no matter how hard everyone tries.

5. Did I mention that I need sleep? Haha.

All in all, I have a lot to be grateful for. I just need to frame everything differently.

This month I am going to work on "parenting", since it's my primary job and I feel as though I worry about it the most.

I am going to resolve to:

1. Make my kids laugh hysterically once a day.
2. Play whatever Zoe wants with no limits at least once a day (I feel like I am always saying "no" or "some other time".)
3. Read "How to Talk So Your Kids Will Listen" and attempt to integrate the parts I find valuable.
4. Work on a new approach to discipline, mine is not working and does not make anyone feel good.
5. Continue to get them outside at least every day for exercise and fresh air.

So I hope that my next post brings about a more positive note, and thanks for listening to me vent!

Melissa #2

No comments:

Post a Comment