Monday, May 10, 2010

Changes

This week I have been thinking a lot about changes, and the challenges that come with change. This subject has been on my mind a lot lately because of the changes I am currently going through at work.
Change is good and bad. Even a good change can be bad, and it effects more than just the person making the change. Take me as an example. I got a great new position at work, which is good for me, however negative for those I work with. They will now have to go through their own changes like adjusting to a new coworker and taking on more work until the new person is up to speed. It is hard for me to walk away from a position knowing it will effect others, even though I know it will be the best thing for me. Which is just one example of why change is hard.
Another challenge to changing is getting used to the new role I will play. Even though I haven't started yet I know that I will have a lot of responsibilities on my shoulders, and while this is exciting. It is also very scary. What if I make a mistake. What ifs are funny things. They are easy to worry about and get wrapped up in. They are a negative part of change. Worrying about a mistake not yet made is kinda silly, however very real. I keep trying to keep my mind off what ifs so that I can focus on the job at hand, and not drive myself completely nuts.
There are all kinds of changes, from changing a diaper, to moving across country and in my eyes they are a the same. Hard. Not just for the changee, but for all that the change effects.
Right now you are thinking 'changing a diaper, that's not that hard and who could it possibly effect', well the tired mom of two is probably having some negativity about this change, and the screaming baby who just wants to be dry, and the older sister trying to get her mom's attention are all effected by that one change. It is how we approach change, that makes us who we are.
I have personally seen a giant change take place. My brother moved his family across the country to move back home. This change affected lots of people. I have to say I am impressed with how well he and my sister in law are handling it. It seems to me that the most pressure is put on those that make changes, and they have to deal with a lot of the negative aspects, even if it was a positive change. Moving is a huge ordeal in itself, then getting settled is even harder. Not to mention that they are having to get settled into someone elses home. That puts so much pressure on everyone in the home. Getting new routines established, sharing a space that is not your own, dividing up household duties, are all challenges they have to face with their change. These all seem relatively easy to get settled, however they are not. It is one thing to know what your role is in your own home, and another thing to know what your role is in someone elses home. I have a great respect for my brother and his family at the way they have adapted to this ginormous change. I have also seen this affected them in a great way, they have become closer as a couple. One big positive for change; it can bring you closer to those you love. One big negative; it can also separate you from your loved ones. Which is a very big challenge in itself and takes a lot of patience for those involved.
With all the changes going on around us everyday (positive and negative), I truly believe how we handle them says a lot about our personalities. I hope that I can always handle changes well, because without change our world would stop. And we should always keep moving forward.
With new challenges come new adventures,
Melissa #1

No comments:

Post a Comment